Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A little bit more

Wednesday, 2/22, My Tweets #7 (My Tweets patterns by Erin Russek, One Piece at a Time)

This block has five 5-petaled flowers.  Each petal is slightly different from the others.  There will be seven of these 5-petaled flowers on the block.  I number each of the five petals 1-5, and then marked and cut out seven of each petal shape.  This is Petal shape #3.  I am anticipating the day when all the prep is done, and I can put everything together on the background.

Tomorrow, another petal shape?  or more?

Slow progress but progress none the less

Last week I learned a little more about the embroidery function on the B830.  The bird is an applique from Fancy Feathers by Lunchbox Quilts.  This was a test piece and I didn't quite get the beak in the right place, but learned that you can re-hoop and with care you can realign...I just didn't quite get it right, but its good to know it can be done with practice.


This design is from Kitchen Orchard, and OESD design cd.  I did the test all in one color of thread, and then made one using various thread colors. Didn't get a picture of the multicolor stitch out before handing it to my daughter for her kitchen.  I did learn that you really need to be subtle with thread color changes.  Dark colors are REALLY dark.
This design is from A Boy's World, an OESD embroidery CD.  It has dinosaurs and planes and trains and dragons, etc.  I used one of my t-shirts to do the design test and was much happier with the colors on this than on the already-given-away dish towel.  This will be just another curve--to learn how the thread colors work together.  It's fun to experiment.
Sunday 2/19 progress on My Tweets #7
 Monday, 2/20 progress on My Tweets #7
 Tuesday, 2/21 at Faux Pas meeting...binding sewn down on first side of Relative Values (leaf quilt).  This picture doesn't reveal much...
 This close up of the corner area shows a section of the binding which is now attached.
I'm a turtle, but if I keep at it, I may actually win a race someday.

Enjoy your days!



Sunday, February 5, 2012

Trying to Get Moving

Finished the quilt top at retreat in November, seamed the backing fabric today, soaked and dried the Hobbs 80/20 batting. It's ready for the master...Michelle.

Bought a hand towel to match two placemats for the grands. Cut the towel in half and hemmed the raq edge. Will use these as napkins.


After lots of false starts on getting these monograms on kitchen towels, they are finally finished. Three with "F" (not shown because they have already been delivered) and three with C for our kitchen. Learning to use the embroidery unit has been a big learning curve.


Need to work on list of projects to be worked on this week...month...year.