Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Finished Project...almost

Modern Patchwork

Finished month two of Oh Fransson's Modern Patchwork quilt along (  I knew I could never finish an entire quilt in one month, so opted for a smaller project.  I also decided not to spend a lot of time picking fabrics, and just grabbed a fat quarter pack of Windham Fabrics' Timber designed by Jessica Levitt.  I usually do not like to build projects from one line of fabric.  The one-line quilts just look too much like cheater cloth to me because everything is so matchy-matchy, but, in the interest of actually getting something done quickly, this was a great solution (because otherwise, I might spend hours pulling, auditioning and picking).  (You're going to think that's really funny, since many of my recent and forthcoming projects are from kits which are all from one line--what can I say?)

My MP project was to use Roller Rink to build a tote to carry the narrow, long things that need to go with me when carrying machines and portable tables, etc.  The tote turned out to be just the ticket for the purpose I had in mind.

Front side, with velcro short flap holding tote shut.  The handles are long enough to slip over the shoulder to carry.

The flip side:

My brain sometimes checks out during the planning stage.  I thought I had plenty of the semi-solid brown and pink...what was I thinking?  Anyway, rather than spend time looking for a substitute, I decided to roll with the tide and use a brown and a pink print from the collection.  Rather busy looking, but fun.  Some of my quilting friends would say, "It makes my head itch!" but I like the cacophony of fabric textures (I like quiet solids, too, so there aren't many quilts I don't like).

The interior, with some of the stuff it will carry:

What you're seeing is a June Taylor 18 x 24 pressing board, an Olfa 18 x 24 cutting mat; the Bernina 830 Jumbo Hoop, and (you can't really see it, but) the acrylic insert for my Arrow Table which holds the Bernina 830.  Actually, it was figuring out a way to easily pack and carry the insert which prompted this project as an answer to the Modern Patchwork Roller Rink month.

The quilting is not very evident in these pictures, but fronts and backs of outer and lining pieces have been quilted, mostly just haphazard straight line quilting...again, I wanted to get this done in a timely manner.

A feature I like to add to totes is a longer strap to accommodate closing the tote when it has been over filled (and sooner or later, it will be).  In the picture above, you can seethe narrower, long strap tucked down in the bag.  Here it is when pulled to the front for use:

I attach a piece of velcro where the shorter flap meets the longer strap, so that the shorter flap will behave, and the longer strap is then attached with velcro to the bag front.  I put a longer piece of velcro on the front of the bag, so that the strap can fasten at any point along the strip depending on how wide the mouth of the bag has gotten when stuffed with too much stuff.  (Maybe I should just learn to pack better).

Doesn't it look perfect?  Well, actually, it's NOT.  I put one of the handles on wrong, so it twists, but there was way too much stitching in place to go back and fix it.

And the "Almost" finished is because I still need to add the long strip of velcro to the front of the bag.


While I was busy working on this, dh was busy making paddles for Rooster (dgs) and Bug (dgd).  I guess Daffodil (Daffy) was supervising:

Since this picture, I've been told the paddles have been painted, one blue and one white.

Scarf #1 for MT

There are a few knitting projects which I need to get done before it turns cold (if it ever turns cold!).  I promised scarves to three of the gals I work with.  They picked out the scarf they liked (from an array of pictures I presented to them).  I started this one a long time ago (almost a year):

It's about 1/3rd finished, but I got bogged down.  The pattern is Oiseau de Feu and may be seen on Ravelry here

The yarn is Blue Sky Alpaca Melange in Huckleberry (  As the pattern developed, I became increasingly concerned that because of the fuzzy nature of the alpaca, the pattern just was not going to show.  Taking pictures outside has convinced me to go ahead with this pattern and get the scarf finished.  The pattern will not be as well defined as if a smoother yarn were used, but I have faith that the softness of the alpaca will make it a well-loved scarf, even if the laciness is not as evident.

Scarf #2 for MR

This scarf is the Linen Stitch Scarf ( from Churchmouse Yarns ( I don't remember which kit was purchased, but I may be able to find the ball bands and add the yarn colors here later.  I LOVE this pattern.  All the yarn ends you see will become a fringe on the scarf ends.

These pictures are a bit fuzzy, so you may not be able to detect the front and the back, but the front side is quite smooth, and the reverse side has a bumpy quality.  Don't know if that is the nature of the pattern, or if it is a glitch in the way I purl as opposed to the way I knit.

When next I take pictures of this, I'll try to remember to use the macro feature on my camera.

Need to come up with some catchy little closing, but until then...until next time.

Foggy Fran


  1. Oh I just love the bag and it looks to be perfect fit. It turned out wonderful and my head does not hurt. The paddles are great.
    Love the colors on the second scarf.

    1. Thanks, Mic. I love the second scarf, too. You'll like it even more when you see it in person. It looks like a woven scarf.